At Collies Pet Food we have a wide range of horse feed products available from leading manufacturers such as:
- Dodson & Horrell
- Allen & Page
- Balanced Horse Feed
- Badminton Horse Feed
- Gain Horse Feed
- Pure Feed Company
- We understand that it can be difficult to choose the right feed for your horse, especially when so many brands are available. There are national brands you will probably recognise as well as regional varieties and local manufacturers too, so which do you choose?
- To help you decide, we ask that you take into consideration each of the following factors:
- Your horse’s age
- Their level of activity
- Any health issues
- Your budget for horse feed
- Most manufacturers produce horse feeds which are tailored to the specific requirements your horse has, their life stage and their activity levels. The packaging of the horse feed will usually specify which areas they are targeting.
- Be very careful when considering your horse’s lifestyle and levels of activity, it’s important not to overfeed your horse as this can make them hot or they could gain unnecessary weight. If you think your horse is gaining weight, do not reduce the amount of feed you give to them, it is more likely that the type of food you are supplying needs to be changed to suit their needs.
- If your horse has health issues which can be exacerbated by their feed, you can find information specific to each food on the side of the bag or you can ask a specialist at Collies Pet Food Supplies. The team have ample experience of working with veterinary professionals and horse yards.
- Always keep your budget in mind; the benefits of feed will usually increase the cost, especially if the feeding rates are particularly high. Feeding rates will vary between feeds and you should consider this alongside the price of the bag. You may even find that purchasing cheap feed and then adding supplements on top could even be more costly than feeding your horse a complete feed which has been formulated to suit their needs.
- If you choose a complete horse feed, make sure you pay close attention to the instructions in order to avoid over feeding your horse.
- If you would like to find out more about the range of horse feeds we have available, or you would like to discuss your horse’s individual needs, contact Collies Pet Food Supplies today!
download our very own app today, it's free!
This app provides booking, business information, special offers and more.